Directions: Read the following case study and locate the keywords that can you assist you in answering the questions below.
Case Study - Brenda's Conquest, 3-year-old filly
You have been presented with Brenda’s Conquest, a 3-year-old filly that has been displaying signs of abnormal health for the last two days. Upon further evaluation of her vital signs, you note the following:
- Temperature = 102.9 °F
- Pulse = 38 BPM
- Respiration = 12 BPM
- Extremities = white nasal discharge out of both nostrils
- Attitude = withdrawn/non-alert demeanor
- Capillary Refill = 3 seconds
- Mucous Membranes = dry, light pink in color
Further examination via bloodwork indicates Brenda has a contagious bacterial infection.
1) Identify all signs of abnormal health
As highlighted, there are five signs of abnormal health - a temperature of 102.9 °F, white nasal discharge, withdrawn/non-alert demeanor, a capillary refill of 3 seconds, and dry mucous membranes
2) Based on the information provided, what class of disease does Brenda currently have, parasitic or non-parasitic?
The keyword we want to identify for this question is bacterial - bacterial signifies that this is a parasitic disease since a host is required
3) Based on the information provided, can Brenda transmit this illness to another horse?
The keyword we want to identify for this question is contagious - if an illness is contagious that means it has the ability to be transmited to another horse